Monday, April 23, 2012

HI-SEAS Update: Moving to the next round!

If you recall from a previous post, I applied to the HI-SEAS (Hawaii Space Exploration Analogue & Simulation) Mission and Food Study by Cornell University/University of Hawaii. I received some pretty excited news this past weekend that I've advanced to the next stage of the "highly qualified" pool!!! About 700 applications were submitted, of which 150 applicants were selected as "highly qualified". After even more review, about 30 applicants have moved on to this next stage. This next stage involves a phone interview and the selection committee contacting references. So fingers crossed as I am super excited about this opportunity and contributing to eventual long-duration space flight missions to Mars!

1 comment:

Ed Fix said...

That's great news! You hadn't posted about HI-SEAS recently, and I wasn't sure you'd even made the 150 cut. And that puzzled me, because just from your profile here, you seemed "highly qualified" to me.

I'm also up for an interview. I just got my physical this morning. I passed easily, but for the first time in my life, my license now says I must wear glasses to fly. Didn't quite make the 20/20 bilateral requirement uncorrected. Oh, well, that ain't bad, since I'll be 60 in a couple of weeks. Now, I have to actually go out and buy some glasses, even though the standard for the flying I actually do doesn't require them. I wonder if HI-SEAS will reimburse me? Probably not. Oh, well. I knew the risk when I agreed to do it.

Anyway, knock 'em dead in the interview, and on to Cornell in June! See you there.

Ed