Monday, June 01, 2009

Atlantis leaving California on the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft Today!



Takeoff of the shuttle carrier aircraft has been targeted for approximately 8 a.m. local time (11 a.m. EDT) today. We're running a little behind schedule due to some difficulties in trying to tighten a bolt on the right attach point for connecting Atlantis to the modified Boeing 747 aircraft. Everything is good now, and Atlantis should be on her way back to KSC soon.

Here's a look inside the modified 747 aircraft that ferries Atlantis back to Kennedy Space Center.


4 comments:

Mana said...

What a great past week you've had! I think the only way it could have been better is if they'd let you fly home in the SCA (or a chase plane :)
And def some awesome pics too!!

Damaris Sarria Toepel said...

That would have been awesome! I did have a blast this past week. It was my first time supporting a landing out at Edwards and it was just way too cool working out there. :)

vdiv said...

Cool! I was always curious what is hidden inside the Shuttle carrier. Wonder what are the pictures hanging at the end of the interior.

Brian Cleaver said...

Hey Damaris,

I have been reading your blog over the past few years, and I have to say you that live one interesting life!!! I actually saw a video on CNN.com of you talking about your ambitions so I decided to check out your blog. Since then, I have checked to see what the latest news has been with what your contributing to at NASA.

I am going to be going to Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach this August to get my Bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering. After that, I will eventually get my Master's degree.

I am working towards landing that job at NASA within the next few years just like you have already done! Good luck with becoming an astronaut, and if all goes well, we will run into eachother at Kennedy Space Center. I'll be there for nearly every rocket launch starting in August.

Also, keep on writing these entries cause I am always reading them!

By the way, since you have already completed what I am about to start, do you have any advice or tips? Feel free to email me back at BrianPCleaver@GMail.com.