Friday, August 17, 2007

Back to JSC

Well, I just arrived from Denver where we were applying the STA-54 in the test article at Lockheed's Materials Testing Lab. We encountered a couple hiccups during the test, but were able to bring it back so we can do some further testing in JSC's arcjet facility. I took a couple pictures of the robotic chamber, but forgot my camera USB adapter, so I'll upload the pictures tomorrow.

However, it's been made public that the Mission Management Team has decided to fly back with the repair in the as-is condition based on all the results of the models, tests in the arcjet, and various analyses.

Since this decision was made, Team 4 is no longer on alert for repair methods. I get to go home tomorrow and return to KSC and continue to help with getting Atlantis ready for an October roll over.

...and I finished my final today!! yey! 1 and a 1/2 classes left! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the MMT rationale for not exposing the crew and the shuttle to unnecessary space walks and repairs, but wouldn't it still be prudent to apply this STA-54 so that a live test of its properties could be determined in a real environmental situation? What if the next time there is a bigger chunk missing? Wouldn't this live experience help to provide valuable data for potential future use?

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog toda,y and I think it's fascinating. I look forward to following your progress as you chase your dream.

Also, there's a song that came to mind when I read your blog. It's called "A Day in Space" by a British band called "Ballboy." You can read the lyrics here:

http://www.lyricstime.com/ballboy-a-day-in-space-lyrics.html

Anonymous said...

Classes left before the thesis or are you in one of the programs that skips that step?

Damaris Sarria Toepel said...

I am half way done with one class I am taking right and The next class will be my research. :)