Wednesday, May 09, 2007

And the winners are.....

We had a tie! The grand prize winners for the 2007 NASA Means Business Student Competition were:

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Website: http://morethanrocketscience.com

Arizona State University/Art Institute of Phoenix - (ASPIRE)
Website: http://www.mc2e.org

Let me summarize this competition. We need a strategy to engage middle and high school students in the fields of Math and Science. The current methods of teaching are no longer effective. The same methods that are used in the classroom today are the same methods educators have used for decades. We to have to reach out to the students using methods that they can relate to and tailor activites to grasp their attention. We live in a world today that is changing rapidly similarly to the new technology for communication at their fingertips. These students in the competition used their collaborative creativity to generate methods to target young students and their educators.

In my opinion, all teams did an outstanding job. Now that I have entered the workforce, I do miss one thing about college. The enthusiasm. All these students were enthusiastic and passionate about the subject with a "we-can-do-it" attitude. They all inspired and motivated me in many ways. I was able to make some new relationships with these students and offered my help in either as a speaker at events/schools or answering any questions they may have. I left very impressed and hope these students continue to make a difference and reach out to the public. I enjoyed the oppportunity in judging this event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Damaris. I found your blog looking up some things for both NASA Means Business and Citizens for Space Exploration. My name is Ben Higgins, I helped start the ASPIRE team four years ago. I heard the competition went well, and love that more students are getting involved. I hope that their enthusiasm sparked some in the hearts and minds of all who attended, especially yours.

On another topic, I did not get invited to a party but I am going to D.C. next week with the Citizens group (im sure a good time can be found there, too). It would be great to hear about your judging experience and your thoughts on all things NASA and space.