Saturday, January 27, 2007

SWE's SUCCESS!!: Introducing Girls To Engineering Workshop

We had such a great turnout today! An estimated 650 young girls attended engineering workshops run by willing and dedicated members/volunteers of the Spacecoast's Society of Women Engineers chapter. I was one of the leaders for the Bottle Rockets Workshop. I explained Newton's Three Law's of Motion and helped them launch their own bottle rocket. The girls had a blast! We have 5 session workshops throughout the day for the Bottle Rockets, and I have to say that I enjoyed every single one of them. There were so many other engineering workshops that they attended (e.g. Robot Designs, Electrical Circuits, Bridges, Fun with Solar Energy, etc....) but I know that by the end of the day they all gained a little extra knowledge and had fun with hands-on applications.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, i wish to talk to you. about my future. cause i wish to become an astronaut. and wish for some guidance when i will be choosing subjects... can you send me your email, so that we could talk better.
thanks forwardly josmar azzopardi

my email is : azzopardijosmar@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Damaris,

This is outstanding! Also not sure if you are aware but February 18th through 24th 2007 is National Engineers Week. (www.eweek.org)

My company Motorola is a major sponsor for a special day this year called "Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day" that may be of special interest to you. There are details on the eweek web site at:

http://www.eweek.org/site/News/Eweek/girlsday.shtml

Also there is information about starting your own "Girl Day" event if there is not one already in your area.

Cheers,
Franklin Diaz